Friday, January 09, 2009

If you love me... (part 1)

"If you really love me you will..." 

You fill in the blank. "If you love me you will...." How many times have we heard that phrase from those who are closest to us? You can probably fill in the blank remembering when someone said this to you. Maybe it was a family member reminding you of how you should change your ways. May it was a boyfriend or girlfriend asking you to do something for them. Whoever it may have been, that person was expressing their desire for you to do something that you may not want to do.... why?... because of your love for them. 
Why love? Well, the idea is that love is willing to sacrifice. Love is willing to say, I don't prefer to do this (go fishing), actually I don't like this at all, but I will do it because you enjoy it and I love you enough to spend time with you doing what you like. Now most of the time this very love is considered 'sweet' and 'nice', but actually there is more behind it. Consider for a second that your community, your neighborhood, your family, comes down with a rare case of deadly respiratory disease. Imagine if your significant other was the one who was not affected?.What kind of love would it be that would motivate a search for the cure? Would he or she be willing to give up their time, money, energy searching for a cure? What would their love sacrifice for the survival of others? Would they be willing to put their life at risk to cure you or others?

Many think that a love willing to sacrifice is true human love. It is not. Although the statement seems complete, the truth is unconditional love is from God and God alone. "We love because He first loved us" 1 John 4:19

Do you know that kind of love? If you don't... please pray for God to show you, He waiting to do so. And I don't mean a kind of love that 'feels good' for a moment, or satisfies for a period of months. I am speaking of a love that completes, fulfills, and restores our lives. All of us were created to love and be loved. Hence my favorite Tobymac song 'Made to Love'. The chorus refers to his relationship with God
Check it:
You were here before me, 
you were waiting on me 
And you said you'd keep me, 
never would you leave me, (Hebrews 13:5)
 I was made to love and be loved by you

My prayer is that you may now the love of God that is beyond all other things. 

Cori-


No comments: