Tuesday, April 21, 2009

We are Called, what will we Choose?

God calls us to be His, and in doing this OUR 'to do' list builds up with things, but are we really doing the one thing that is most necessary. Are we being the Martha (the doer) or the Mary (seeking God first) in this world? --This song made question myself and ask the question am I willing and available completely to be used for God even if it means change, difficulty, or disruption. Are we willing to be uncomfortable to grow in the Lord and allow Him to change us? Is the call of Christ worth it? For in God's Jesus spoke these words: "3Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." On many occasions this verse has lead me to wonder. Take up my cross? Deny myself? What is this all about? Doesn't God have to do the work in my life? At this point, I hadn't realize that God not only has to, He wants to make the changes in my life that make me more like Him. The key factor is that we must choose to ALLOW God to come into our lives and that's a daily choice. When Jesus calls us to deny ourselves, He's simply asking us to lay down our 'to do' list, lay down our thought that we can solve everything, lay down our comfort in possessions or people, and seek Him above all else. This is simple but not easy. This is a call to surrender everything we are, all the comforts we enjoy, all the things that we worship daily such as acceptance by others, financial status, seeking a mate, food, our home, and many other things. This call is made for our benefit and yet many times we choose to ignore it. The old testament, God continues to call us to love the Lord with all of our heart, all of our soul, and all of our strength. This request is made by God and for God because He knows our tendency to stray. We tend to fear the commitment to follow God. Many of us fear what He might do in our lives. Some are afraid that He won't give us our true desires. My question to you is, is it worth going through the motions, living for one satisfaction after another to fulfill a need that remains after all the desires are fulfilled? Do we want to look back at our lives questioning how we used our time? Which is worse- going through the heart surgery that heals us or living in a condition that slowly kills us because we opt against the surgery? Matthew 22:14 "For many were called but few were chosen" We are all called, but how many of us are willing to open our hearts, our minds, our souls, our lives, our time to choose to follow God wherever He takes us?



Hope the words of this song can be a blessing for you as it has for me:


"The Motions" by Matthew West

This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life

No comments: